Basic FAQWhat organizations are you affiliated with?
How much does it cost?
Can I come by and watch a class?
How do I join?
How often should I attend class?
What do I wear?
Do you work with weapons?
- What organizations are you affiliated with?
- We are affiliated with Aikido Schools of Ueshiba ( ASU). Mitsugi Saotome shihan, the founder of ASU, was one of Morihei Ueshiba's direct students. ASU is also recognized by the Aikikai Foundation which is the world governing body of Aikido.
- How much does it cost?
- Monthly fees are $75/mo for adults and $60/mo for children.
- Can I come by and watch a class?
- Sure, visitors are always welcome.
- How do I join?
- Show up 15 minutes before class and fill out some paperwork. It's that simple.
- How often should I attend class?
- As often as you can. Ultimately how often you attend will depend on you. Commitments such as family and work may limit your attendance. Or, you may have none of these and be able to attend every class. Generally, the optimum level of practice seems to be 3 times a week but if you can only make it twice a week or even once a week then that's fine too.
- What do I wear?
- For your first few classes wear something comfortable. A pair of sweats is ideal. After that you will get a gi (white uniform) and eventually a hakama (black or blue trousers).Special note on hakama: At Aikido of Pajaro Valley, and within the ASU, the hakama is used by all practitioners regardless of rank. This is not the case with all organizations. For instance, in some organizations and schools only yudansha (black belts) may wear them.
- Do you guys work with weapons?
- Yes, we work with the jo (staff), bo (long staff), bokken (wooden sword) and tanto (wooden knife).